We are going to start using blue recycling bins in all of the office spaces and I will be changing the default print settings on all computers so that everything will print double sided! More suggestions were received very well and are in the works, they just take more time to implement!
I am so excited to be doing what I am here! I know I can bring green and environmental conscientiousness anywhere, whether they know they want it or not! :)
If you're interested, here is a copy of my proposal:
- Set default print settings to print double sided.
- Use digital procedures like e-mail, Google docs, Microsoft Office, etc. whenever possible
- Sell CAC reusable water bottles to be used versus plastic cups for water.
- Offer a small discount (Starbucks gives a ten cent discount) for the use of a reusable mug or container when getting beverages from the café
- Reuse scratch paper whenever possible.
- Purchase recycled and environmentally friendly materials and supplies. * See the Green Purchasing Guide digitally attached.
- RECYCLE! Blue bins should be used for recyclable materials only and emptied into the appropriate place so that their contents can be properly recycled. The ** ** already offers single stream recycling through Alpine Waste (www.alpinewaste.com). All materials; paper, plastic, metals, etc.; can be recycled in one bin!
The best part about making a commitment to be environmentally friendly is that any and all actions help, no matter the size. There are many techniques that when combined can make a noticeable impact on the state of the environment, but not all have to be implemented. Sustainability and environmental consciousness is by no means an “all or nothing” activity. Changes can be made in steps and end with a goal of any size; even the smallest environmentally conscious habits make a difference.
The first step made by the CAC, should be the implementation of recycling. We already have a few of the necessary bins, but are using them as regular trash bins. The addition of more designated recycling bins and education about what can be recycled will have a significant impact on the amount of MSW produced at CAC. I will provide the necessary information to all employees so that they will have the proper knowledge if asked what can be recycled. I have print materials that can be adapted to CAC standards to be posted above bins in office and cafe areas. I also will make it my responsibility to empty the recycling bins into the designated compactor located in the garage. This way housekeeping, nor any other employees, will gain additional duties.
What do we need?
- A total of 12 small recycling bins designated for recycling only. One to be placed at each of the office desk areas.
- Two larger bins meant to accommodate larger items like bottles and cups, which will be placed in the cafe and the functional floor.
- Education for employees on what can be placed into the bins.
- Signage for the higher traffic areas that will promote an increased amount of bin usage, such as cafe.
- Seven gallon bins are sold at Staples for $6.99 each ($5.20 at recycleaway.com)
- Ten gallon bins are $9.99 each at Staples.
- Larger, covered bins that should be used in/near the cafe and functional floor vary in price and are more expensive, starting around $40 per bin and going upwards from there.