Sunday, August 17, 2014
Green Stadiums Lineup
In order to achieve sustainability success and be a truly environmentally responsible operation, teams and stadiums have to tackle many different functions and categories.
1. Water Conservation - Are all fixtures low-flow fixtures (meaning that they use less water without compromising performance)? Are the irrigation systems efficient and free of leaks?
2. Public Transportation - Are public transit options available and easily accessible to stadium guests, therefore reducing cars on the road?
3. Waste Diversion - Recycling, compost, and food recovery. Are efforts made to reduce waste sent to landfill by recycling, composting, and sending leftover concession food to be used elsewhere?
4. Energy Efficiency - Are lighting, HVAC, and other systems updated and working properly? Can they be replaced or retrofitted to use less energy?
5. Renewable Energy - Do you have the infrastructure to create energy on site? If not, are renewable energy credits purchased?
6. Purchasing and Sourcing - What are all office supplies, concession products, etc. made off? Where are they and food supplies coming from?
7. Storm Water Management - What happens to water run-off from your site? Can it be captured and filtered into the ground before it makes its way to the storm drain?
8. Air Quality - Indoor and outdoor. Are chemicals and toxins kept out of the air by using low or no-VOC paints and materials?
9. Fan Engagement - You're an idol. Is an example being set and SHARED WITH FANS so that they can be inspired to take similar green actions at home?